page top

DE   EN   IT   FR   ES   CZ   | FONT: A    A+   A++ | CONTRAST +|
Linz - History
City of Linz - Homepage
 » 17th Century » 17th Century » 16th/17th Century » Timeline » History of the City »  »  » Startseite

17th century

The city was to be elaborately extended and fortified at the turn of the 16th/17th centuries. The scheme was not completed. After 1600 the castle was monumentally expanded under Emperor Rudolf II.
The Jesuits led the counter-reformation in Linz in 1600; they were supported by the Capuchins after 1616. The passage of the army of Passau under the leadership of  Ramee (1611) gave the city major difficulties, which then had to withstand a nine-week siege by the peasants under Stefan Fadinger during the Peasant Wars of 1626. The suburbs were razed to the ground. The city was pledged to the Bavarians between 1620 and 1628.

After the Thirty Years War the face of the city became more baroque in character. In addition to the citizenry, this was driven by the nobility (the free houses), the church and the orders which entered the city in waves (Carmelites 1672, Ursulines 1679, Carmelines 1709, Elisabethines 1745, Brothers of Mercy 1756), whose monasteries left their mark on the city which can be seen to this day.

1690 - 1722/23
Construction of a comprehensive monastery complex by the Ursulines, who have been resident in Linz since 1679. Building work on the present church begins in 1736, and it is consecrated in 1757. The towers are not constructed until 1770 – 1772.
1683/1684
Diplomatic negotiations to prepare the ‘Holy Alliance’ between Emperor Leopold I, the King of Poland, and the Republic of Venice against the Turks.
1680/81
The Capuchins build a hospice in Urfahr, which becomes a monastery between 1690 and 1694. A church is built between 1692 and 1702, which serves as the parish church of Urfahr from 1785 onwards.
1679/80
Construction of a monastery by the Carmelites, who had been resident since 1672. The present church is built between 1690 and 1710.
Wool factory
1672
Founding of the wool factory by the Linz citizen Christian Sindt.
1669 - 1676
Construction of St. Ignatius' Church (Old Cathedral) by the Jesuits, consecrated in 1678.
1669
Opening of a philosophical educational institution (Lyceum) by the Jesuits, which is expanded subsequently to include more subjects.
1649 - 1653
Construction of the city Parish Church with three naves, a wide gabled roof and a high choir tower. The extension around the side naves dates from 1687 to 1694.
Georg Rakoczy
1645, 8th August
Conclusion of the ‘Linz peace’ between Emperor Ferdinand III and Georg Rakoczy of Transylvania in the course of the 30 Years War.
1637
Construction of a brewery.
1636
Execution of the Peasant leader Martin Laimbauer and other rebels in the Main Square.
Wood cut of a battle scene
Juni to August 1626
Siege by the rebelling Peasants under the leadership of Stefan Fadinger, great destruction; execution of the ringleaders of the Peasants Rebellion of 1626 in March 1627.
1624 - 1645
Re-catholicisation of the city inhabitants under the leadership of the Jesuits.
1620 - 1628
Emperor Ferdinand II mortgages the land upstream of the Enns, including the city of Linz, to Elector Maximilian of Bavaria. Adam, Duke Herberstorff, becomes Bavarian governor of Upper Austria.
1614
General assembly of the Austrian, Hungarian and Bohemian provinces with participation of the imperial classes (‘Reichstag’ of Linz).
Johannes Kepler
1612 - 1626
The astronomer and mathematician Johannes Kepler lives in Linz as a teacher at the country school.
1611
The army of Passau under Laurenz of Ramee threatens Linz.
1608
Founding of a grammar school by the Jesuits.
1606
Arrival of the Capuchins.
1600
Arrival of the Jesuits.
The Linz Castle
1599 - 1614
Rebuilding of the provincial castle on command of Emperor Rudolf II. 

further information: