Healthy in Linz

Social security

If you work in Austria, whether you are self-employed or employed by others, you automatically receive social insurance coverage (compulsory insurance). As a result you are

  • Medically insured
  • Insured for accidents
  • Insured for your retirement pension
  • Insurerd against joblessness

If you work for others your social insurance fee is automatically deducted from your monthly salary or from your wages (the amount depends upon how much you earn). From the first day of your employment on you enjoy complete insurance protection – whenever you make use of the benefits of the health care system (e.g. treatment by a physician, stay in a hospital…) the health insurance covers the resulting costs. Your employer must give you the confirmation of your social insurance registration without delay. If you do not receive this confirmation after having requested it, please consult your health insurer! Complete insurance protection is provided even if your employer did not register you with your health insurer within the required period of time. In this case, problems can, however, occur. For example, the card can show that you have no valid health insurance when you present it at the doctor’s office. 

Social insurance and e-card number 

You (and the dependent persons insured along with you) need your social insurance number: 

  • Whenever you (they) make use of the services of a physician, have a dental treatment or lay claim to other benefits of the health care system.
  • Whenever you contact your health insurer, either personally or in written form. With your green social insurance card (see illustration) you always have your social insurance number ready at hand. This card replaces the a health insurance voucher which you formerly had to bring with you whenever you went to see the doctor or came to a facility of the health care system for treatment. Health insurance (also for your dependents) In Austria insured persons as well as the members of their families are entitled to health care benefits. 

This includes:

  • spouses, registered partnersand unter certain conditions persons living in a
  • non-marital partnership
  • children up to the age of 18
  • children up to the age of 27 when they are in school or undergoing training.
  • other dependents such as adopted children, stepchildren and grandchildren. For these there are other regulations.

Children can be insured at no additional cost. The same is true for spouses, registered partners and common-law spouses in families with children.

Notice: For couples without children, there is a special regulation. A co-insurance is subject to a charge.

Persons who have no health insurance

If you are not medically insured and want medical care in Austria, you have to bear the costs for diagnosis and therapy yourself. If you do not have sufficient financial resources at your disposal, but the physician decides that your illness requires immediate treatment, it is possible for you to obtain treatment on a delayed payment basis in a public hospital (e.g. the Kepler University Clinical Center, Med Campus III ). You will have to pay the full costs (possibly in installments) as soon as you have enough money at your disposal. Persons who are not covered within the framework of the compulsory insurance (or are not co-insured as dependents) can generally insure themselves on a voluntary basis. In this case, however, there are sometimes waiting times for benefits.

Österreichische Gesundheitskasse (ÖGK), Hauptstelle 
(Upper Austrian Regional Public Health Insurance), Main Office

Gruberstraße 77, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 5 7807 0
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 6.45 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Infoservice counter for customers: Monday-Thursday 6 a.m. - 5 p.m., Friday 6 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Sozialversicherungsanstalt der gewerblichen Wirtschaft, Landesstelle OÖ
(Social Insurance Provider for Trade and Industry, state office for Upper Austria)

Mozartstraße 41, 4010 Linz
Tel.: +43 5 0808 2024
Opening hours: Monday-Thursday 7.30 a.m. - 2.30 p.m., Friday 7.30 a.m. - 1.30 p.m.

Versicherungsanstalt der öffentlich Bediensteten (BVA), Landesstelle OÖ
(Social Insurance Provider for Civil Service Employees, state office of Upper Austria)

Hessenplatz 5, 4010 Linz
Tel.: +43 5 04 05
Opening hours: Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Friday 7:30 a.m. - 12 noon

Versicherungsanstalt für Eisenbahnen und Bergbau, Außenstelle Linz
(Social Insurance Provider for Railroad and Mine Workers, Linz branch office)

Bahnhofplatz 3-6, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 50 2350 or 36900
Opening hours: Monday-Thursday: 7.30 a.m. - 3 p.m., Friday 7.30 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Sozialversicherungsanstalt der Bauern (Social Insurance Provider for Farmers)
Blumauerstraße 47, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7633

Accident insurance

In case you have an accident at work or suffer from an occupational disease, you are covered by the accident insurance. Work-related accidents are accidents that have a local, temporal or causal connection with your job or your education or training. Occupational diseases are health impairments which occur as a result of the insured activity. Work-related accidents have to be reported to the accident insurance [Allgemeinen Unfallversicherungsanstalt (AUVA)] within five days when they result in a period of more than three days of illness or inability to work. Occupational diseases have to be reported by the employer and the physician.

The services of the accident insurance include the prevention of work-related accidents and occupational diseases; occupational medical advising; first aid in case of job-related accidents; treatment, rehabilitation and compensation after work-related accidents and occupational diseases and research.

Allgemeine Unfallversicherungsanstalt (AUVA)
AUVA-Landesstelle Linz

Garnisonstraße 5, 4010 Linz
Tel.: +43 5 9393 32000
Opening hours: Monday-Thursday 7.30 a.m. - 4 p.m., Friday 7.30 a.m. - 3.15 p.m.

Going to a doctor


An e-card is needed for a treatment in the health care facilities of the social insurance or when you go to see a physician

What is the e-card?

“e“ means electronic, and here designates the electronic facilitation of administrative processes. With the e-card the physician who has a contract with the health care insurer can find out whether and for which diseases a person is insured and can automatically settle the costs. The person who is insured by a “Gebietskrankenkasse” does not have to pay for the treatment, except for an annual service charge. Persons insured by other public health providers, for example self-employed persons, have to bear a percentage of the costs for certain benefits.

Who receives an e-card?

This card will be sent to all insured persons and the dependents covered by their policies who within the past nine months have had a claim to services from the compulsory public health provider according to one of the following laws or are in one of the following categories and who are residing in Austria.

  • General Social Insurance Law (ASVG) 
  • Health and Accident Insurance for Officials (B-KUVG)
  • Social Insurance Law for Farmers (BSVG)
  • Social Insurance Law for Commerce and Industry (GSVG)
  • Persons who are only employed for a few hours a week, although they are not subject to the compulsory health insurance
  • Persons who are receiving a means-tested minimum income
  • Persons who are insured on the basis of more than one of the social insurance laws receive only one e-card. When they go to the doctor it is possible to decide which of the providers will bear the costs.
  • Newly-born babies automatically receive an e-card as soon as the birth is registered by the responsible health insurance provider.

Have you forgotten your e-card?

If you do not have e-card when you go to see a physician, he (she) can ask you to leave a certain sum of money as a “deposit” to make sure that you reliably bring him (her) the card at a later time. Physicians most often require a deposit from persons who are not their regular patients. They are entitled to determine the amount of this deposit; usually it is between 20 and 40 euros. It is refunded to you when you bring the e-card to the physician’s office. 

Validity of and service fee for the e-card 

The validity of the e-card is unlimited. You only have to get a new one, when the data on the surface of the card change (e.g. a change of names or a title) or when the card is damaged. If there is an expiration date on the back side of the card, it is only to show the validity of the European insurance card. The service fee amounts to 10.85 euros for each calendar year (Status 2015). The same fee must also be paid for each of the other persons covered by your insurance. All of the service fees are automatically deducted from an employee’s salary or wages on the 15th of November for the following year. 

No e-card service fee must be paid by:

  • Persons who are only employed for a few hours a week,
  • Employees who do not receive payments on November 15th (e. g. persons who are receiving maternity benefits or who are on a leave of absence according to the maternal protection law/ Paternal Leave Law, or who are doing military or civil service),
  • Employees who because of a disability that affects their ability to work receive less than half of their salaries from their employers,
  • Persons who are going to retire in the first quarter of the next year and consequently will no longer be registered in the compulsory insurance.

How often am I entitled to benefits with my e-card?

Quarterly you can if necessary consult one physician who practices each medical specialty (general practitioner, gynecologist, ophthalmologist, dentist, etc.). You can go to these physicians as often as necessary for treatments and consultations. Only in exceptional cases, however, you are entitled to change from one practitioner of a certain specialty to another one with the same specialty within a quarter. For example, you cannot consult two different ear- nose and throat specialists in the period of time between January and March (1st quarter). Exceptions to this rule can be made if there are justifiable reasons for doing so, in which case the Upper Austrian Regional Health Insurance (OÖGKK) must give its approval. The permission must be obtained from the OÖGKK before going to the second physician (the restriction against the consultation of the second physician will in this case be “deactivated” on your e-card).

1st quarter: January 1st to March 31st
2nd quarter: April 1st to June 30th
3rd quarter: July 1st to September 30th
4th quarter: October 1st to December 31st

Loss of an e-card

If you lose your e-card, you must immediately notify your public health insurer or the e-card service line, which has the phone number +43 50 124 33 11 (everywhere in Austria you only pay the fee for local calls – therefore never forget to dial the first “0”). If you have to go to a doctor during the period of time when you have no card, the physician can simply type in your insurance number and thereby determine whether and in what manner you are insured. You must present your e-card to the physician at a later time.

Which physician should I go to? When should I go to him/her?

If you have health problems you should first consult your family physician (physician for general medicine). He or she not only considers the sickness, but rather the entire job and family situation and is the person the health insurance system turns to. Besides he/she will guide you to the right places in the health care system when he/she is unable to treat the problem in his own office or when another kind of care is required (e.g. home or nursing care, physiotherapy, etc.). Medical specialists have had training in a particular medical specialty, for example internal medicine, ophthalmology, gynecology, etc. After their general medical education they have completed a program of studies in their field of medicine. Before consulting a medical specialist, it is a good idea to have a referral from your family physician. When the physician’s office is closed an emergency family physician service is available, which provides acute care in the offices of the Red Cross or sends a physician to visit the ill person at his/her home.

Emergency family physician service in Linz:
Körnerstraße 28, 4020 Linz
Telephone number: 141
Office hours: Saturday, Sundays and holidays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
House calls: Saturday, Sundays and holidays from 7 a.m. until 7 a.m. of the next day In the area of the city of Linz there is also an emergency medical service for mobile house calls from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. (it has no physician’s office).

When should I go to an out-patient clinic?

In the hospitals there are some special departments (e.g. accident out-patient department: ear-, nose and throat out-patient department; out-patient dental department) which allow patients to return home immediately after treatment. Your physician may refer you to the out-patient department for further examinations. The out-patient departments of the emergency admission hospitals are open on weekends and holidays. You need to have your e-card when you come to the registration. It is necessary to go to an out-patient department when:

  • you need first help and no other medical care can be reached, 
  • you have received first aid and need further treatment,,
  • a treatment that was initiated when you were an in-patient needs to be continued,
  • you need treatments or tests that are not available in other places.

Please remember that out-patient clinics are not an adequate substitute for going to see your family physician.

Local physicians with private offices

To make sure that you do not have to wait too long in your physician’s office, it is necessary to make an appointment. Please adhere to it and come on time! (In spite of this, emergency cases that occur may be given priority, which means that you will have to wait). In case you cannot come to the appointment, do not forget to cancel it! 

Free choice of your physician. You as patient are entitled to freely choose your physician.

Panel doctors of your public health insurer – that is, physicians who have signed a contract with your public health insurer (for example with the OÖ Gebietskrankenkasse) are entitled to treat you and then settle the fees directly with your public health insurance. That means that you do not have to pay the physician yourself.

It is important for you to have a family physician that you trust in the area where you live. That is usually a general practitioner. He (she) is familiar with your medical history and can make a preliminary diagnosis. If necessary, he (she) will refer you to a specialist, in which case you are given a yellow referral note. 

Optional physicians (not under contract with the public health insurer)

You can also go to an optional physician. This has to be done privately, which means you have to bear the costs. After presentation of the bill to your public health insurance (for example to the Upper Austrian Regional Public Health Insurance [Gebietskrankenkasse, OÖGKK]) you receive the com pensation which is provided for by it. That is normally 80 percent of the fee which a panel physician would have received for the same service. Since optional physicians determine their fees themselves, the reimbursement of the public health insurer might only cover a small part of the actual costs of treatment. The difference can be very great. Therefore it is very important for you to find out how much the treatment will cost before agreeing to it. 

Physicians with knowledge of foreign languages in Linz

In Linz there are about 600 physicians, of which about 200 are general practitioners. The others are medical specialists (for example dentists, ophthalmologists, etc.). You can find physicians who have a knowledge of foreign languages in the online-list of the Medical Council of Upper Austria at

Notification of Sickness for Employed Persons

If you are sick and unable to work, you must inform your employer immediately.

  • An inability to work must always be determined by the physician who is treating you. The panel physician sends the notification directly to the public health insurer.
  • If you are sick and unable to work, you must immediately go to see the doctor. A retroactive notification for more than one working day is only possible in exceptional cases.
  • The public health insurer needs a notification of sickness, and when you are well again a notification of healthiness, before it can confirm the sick leave. This is also the case if you cannot receive sickness benefits, for example because you are continuing to get your salary.
  • If you are treated in the out-patient department of a hospital, a notification of sickness is often not automatically made. If this is the case you must have your inability to work confirmed in the out-patient department and present this notification to the public health insurer without delay. The card of the out-patient department is not regarded as a notification of sickness.
  • If you are staying in a hospital you are automatically “on sick leave”; the same is true for rehabilitation centers. When you are discharged, please go immediately to the physician who is treating you with the discharge report. He or she can determine how long the inability to work will last.

When you are again healthy the health insurer requires a notification of healthiness. The doctor who is treating you is responsible for providing it. However you yourself can give notice that you are again in good health (for example in case of the Oberösterreichische Gebietskrankenkasse [OÖGKK] [Upper Austrian Regional Public Health Insurance] you can provide this notification online on the internet, making use of the form “Gesundmeldung [notification of health]” under the address: » Gesundmeldung).

Sick pay: After the termination of the period in which the employer is obliged to continue paying the salary, sick pay can be claimed until the insured person is able to return to work. This is only possible for a certain period of time, however. The sick pay largely compensates for the lost pay.

Information about hospitals

Hospitals in Linz

Kepler University Clinical Center, Med Campus III. 
Krankenhausstraße 9, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7806
Visiting hours: daily 1.30 - 3.30 p.m.; 6 - 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday, holidays additionally 10 - 11 a.m.
In the intensive care area there are different visiting hours (Information can be obtained from the nursing personnel). For patients with a limited understanding of German a video interpreter service is available.

Diakonissenkrankenhaus Linz (Deaconess Hospital of Linz)
Weißenwolffstraße 15, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7675 0

Krankenhaus der Barmherzigen Brüder (Hospital of the Merciful Brothers)
Seilerstätte 2, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7897 0
Visiting hours: daily 1 - 3 p.m. 6 - 7 p.m.

Krankenhaus der Barmherzigen Schwestern (Hospital of the Merciful Sisters) 
Seilerstätte 4, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7677 0
Visiting hours: daily 1 - 3.30 p.m.; 5.30 - 7 p.m.,
Additionally on Sundays and holidays: 10 - 11 a.m.
Children’s wards: 1.30 - 5.30 p.m. Parents have unlimited visiting hours.
Operative Intensive ward: daily 1.30 - 6.30 p.m.
Special class: daily 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Krankenhaus der Elisabethinen (Hospital of the Order of St. Elizabeth) 
Fadingerstraße 1, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7676 0
In this hospital there are no strict visiting hours, but visitors are requested to respect the resting periods.
Resting periods in the normal wards: 12 noon - 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. - 7 a.m.
Resting periods in the operative intensive ward: 1.30 - 3.30 p.m. and 6 p.m. - 7 a.m.
Resting periods in the internal intensive ward: 2.30 - 4.30 p.m. and 8 p.m. - 7 a.m.

Kepler University Clinical Center, Med Campus IV. 
Krankenhausstraße 26-30, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 50 55463 0
Visiting hours gynecology and obstetrics:
daily 1.30 – 3.30 p.m. and 6 – 7 p.m.
Noon resting break: 11.30 a.m.-1.30 p.m.
Visiting hours pediatrics and adolescent medicine:
Parents can visit their children at any time.
General visiting hours daily 2 - 6 p.m.
Resting period: 12 noon - 2 p.m.
There are no general visiting hours for the interdisciplinary intensive care station and the neonatal intensive care station. Parents can of course stay with their children 24 hours a day if the nursing personnel agree. If necessary, the hospital can provide an interpreter (maybe a video interpreter). 

Kepler University Clinical Center, Neuromed Campus
Wagner-Jauregg-Weg 15, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 50 55462 0
General visiting hours: daily 2 - 3.30 p.m.; 6 - 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday, holidays additionally 9.30 - 10.30 a.m.
(The following divisions have different visiting hours: neurological-neurosurrgical-intensive aftercare, child and adolescent psychiatry, intensive care unit.) If necessary, the hospital can provide interpreters (possibly video interpreters).

(Accident Hospital)

Garnisonstraße 7, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 5 9393 42000
Visiting hours: daily 1 - 8 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday, holidays additionally 9 - 11.30 a.m.

Which hospitals are admitting patients?

You can find information as to which of the hospitals are admitting patients in a current edition of a local daily newspaper or in the internet:

Stay in a hospital

When you are admitted to a hospital please take along your e-card as well as a transferal voucher, if you have one. If you are in a special patient class {first class patient, for example}, you must tell the hospital the number of your supplementary insurance policy and sign a declaration of commitment. Come punctually at the time that has been arranged! 

The costs of a hospital stay

The health insurance covers almost all of the costs of your hospital stay, with the exception of a small fee. For insured persons: 11.74 euros per day (status 2015), but only up to a maximum of 28 days per calendar year – you do not have to pay any more for additional days. This fee is not charged for persons who are either freed from the prescription fee or are in a special patient class. Patient’s fee for dependants covered by the policy: 19.40 euros a day (status 2015) (for a maximum of 28 days within a calendar year). In case of delivery of a child, no fee is charged. These fees usually have to be paid on the day you are discharged from the hospital. If you go home on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, the bill will be sent to you.

Counseling and support during emotional crises

Serious events (the loss of a job, the death of a close person, financial difficulties, separation from a spouse or partner…) necessitate substantial changes in a person’s life and disturb his emotional balance. If you feel desperate and do not know what to do or have the feeling that you are doing everything wrong, do not hesitate to avail yourself of professional help (psychologists, psychiatrists, psychotherapists).


Emergency Psychosocial Service
Emergency calls in cases of mental crisis, 24 hours a day, free of charge
Tel.: +43 732 6510 15

Clearing office for psychotherapy
Service facility for patients, that serves to determine whether there are indications that
psychotherapy is advisable and to arrange for treatment as expediently as possible.
Tel.: +43 800 202 533 oder +43 732 651015

Crisis Intervention Center
Therapeutic center for persons undergoing a mental crisis

Hessenplatz 9, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 2177
Monday to Thursday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Emergency psychiatric counseling by phone 142
Kepler University Clinical Center, Neuromed Campus, SPAZ 
(socialpsychiatric outpatient service) in case of psychological crises, round the clock, referral of the patient is not essential.

Wagner-Jauregg-Weg 15, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 50 55462 0

Other places to turn to:

Psychosoziale Beratungsstelle Linz, Pro mente
(Psychosocial Counseling Office in Linz, Pro Mente)

Scharitzerstraße 6-8, 4. Stock, 4020 Linz
Tel: +43 732 2178

Point, Beratungsstelle für Suchtfragen, Pro mente
(Point, consultation office for matters involving addiction, Pro Mente)
Figulystraße 32, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 770895 0
Opening hours: Monday, Friday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday 1 - 5 p.m.

Psychosoziales Zentrum Linz-Urfahr, Exit sozial
(Psychosocial Center Linz-Urfahr, Exit social)

Consultation, intervention in cases of crisis, psychotherapy
Wildbergstraße 10a, 4040 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 71 7 19
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Sozialpsychiatrische Ambulanz, Exit sozial
(Social-psychiatric out-patient clinic, Exit social)

Psychiatric counseling and information, diagnoses and treatment, emergency psychiatric help, counseling for dependents, psychological training, determination of indications for psychotherapy, day clinic for group therapy
Wildbergstraße 10a, 4040 Linz
Tel.: 43 732 700595
Opening hours: Monday, Friday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday 2 - 6 p.m.
Wednesday 2 - 4 p.m.

Mobile Betreuung, Exit sozial
(Mobile Patient Care, Exit social)

Care and counselling in the patient’s home
Ferihumerstraße 5/1, 4040 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 737052

migrare – Center for Immigrants in Upper Austria 
Humboldtstraße 49, 4020 Linz
Miladinka Dujakovic, psychosocial counseling in the Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian language and in German
Tel.: +43 732 667363 12
Cihangir Murat Özbilgin, psychosocial counselling in Turkish and German
Tel.: +43 732 667363 28

Volkshilfe Flüchtlingsbetreuung Oberösterreich, OASIS
Psychotherapeutische Betreuung von Flüchtlingen
(„Volkshilfe“ Refugee Counselling in Upper Austria, OASIS psychotherapeutic counselling for refugees)

Tel.: +43 732 603099 30

BILY – youth-, family- and sexual counselling
Weißenwolffstraße 17a, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 770497
Opening hours: Monday: 3 - 6 p.m.
Wednesday : 5 - 8 p.m.
Thursday: 12 noon - 3 p.m.

PGA – Association for prophylactic health work
The PGA offers psychotherapy free of charge in Linz (and all of Upper Austria) in outpatient health clinics. In the clearing office interested persons can find out what kind of support they need.
Museumstraße 31a, 4020 Linz
Clearingstelle für Psychotherapie
Tel.: +43 800 202533
Opening hours: Monday: 8.30 a.m. - 12.30 noon
Tuesday: 8.00 a.m. - 5.30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8.30 a.m. - 2.30 p.m.
Thursday: 8.00 a.m. - 5.30 p.m.
Friday: 8.30 a.m. - 1.30 p.m.

Becoming healthy again

Medicines, prescriptions

When your physician prescribes medicines for your health, she/he writes a prescription (in German ”Rezept”). When you present a (completely filled out) prescription to a pharmacy, you receive the necessary medicine. You do not have to pay the real cost of the medicine (which can be very high), but only the 5.50 euro prescription fee for each medicine (status 2015). 

Exemption from prescription fee 

If your monthly net income does not exceed the following sum, you can apply to the health care insurance for an exemption from the prescription fee:
€ 872.31 for single persons*
€ 1,307.89 for married couples*
*(Status 2015)
This limit is raised for every child who lives in your household or if you show proof that you have incurred above-average expenditures because of sicknesses or infirmities.

Homeopathic medicines

Homeopathic pharmaceutics are made entirely of herb/natural material and can also be obtained from a pharmacy. The public health insurer does not usually assume the costs for them, however, because their effectiveness has not been scientifically proven.

What you should know about medicines

In the pharmacy they will write on the package how often you should take the medicine and how often you have to take it: for example “(1/1/2)” means that you should take one pill in the morning, one at noon and two in the evening. “(1/-/1)” means one in the morning, none at noon and one in the evening.

  • Please adhere strictly to the dosages prescribed by your physician! If you do not tolerate the medicine (due to side effects) please inform a physician as soon as possible, or ask about it in the pharmacy!
  • Please take the medicine during the entire period of time it has been prescribed for.
  • You must not stop taking it without the consent of your physician!
  • Many medicines have to be kept in the refrigerator – please follow the instructions on the package!
  • If a medicine has been prescribed for you that you have to keep on taking, please remember to get a new prescription for it before the old one runs out.
  • When using medicines that you keep at home, please pay attention to the expiration dates on the packages!
  • Medicines that have already expired should not be discarded with the household garbage. Please return them to a pharmacy!
  • If you are uncertain about anything, don’t hesitate to ask at your pharmacy.

Over-the-counter medicines (ones that require no prescription)

There are medicines for temporary minor complaints that you can obtain without a prescription (pain pills, vitamin preparations, cough syrups…). Your pharmacist will gladly advise you at any time, free of charge. It is important to inform your physician about any medicines you take, even ones that don’t require a prescription, because interactions can occur between them and the prescribed medicines. 

Pharmacies in Linz

The following sign indicates the presence of a pharmacy: You can find the addresses of the pharmacies that are open at night, on weekends or on holidays in a current edition of a local daily newspaper. They are also posted on signs on the pharmacies in the area where you live. They are also listed in the Internet under as well as in the ORF-Teletext on page 649.

Telephone information:
The emergency pharmacy telephone number 1455 can be reached round the clock 365 days of the year.
Samariterbund +43 732 2124
Rotes Kreuz +43 732 7644

Ask at your pharmacy for a plan of the pharmacy service (a list showing which pharmacies have night, weekend or emergency service). If you go to a pharmacy at night, on the weekend or on a holiday, you must pay an additional fee of 1.30 euros (during the daytime) or 3.80 euros (at night from 8 pm to 8 am) (*Status 2015). 

Staying healthy

In Austria various services are available to help you maintain your health.

Preventative medical examination (= health check-up) 

Even if you feel healthy, a regular health check-up should be part of your normal routine. Many illnesses can be prevented or cured more easily or more rapidly if they are detected at an early stage. If you are over 18 years old, you are entitled to a gratis annual health check-up.

The basic preventative examination includes the following:

  • Blood examination
  • Urine examination
  • Examination of the stool for traces of blood (for patients who are 40 or older
  • Proctoscopy (beginning at the 50th year, once every ten years).
  • Discussion about previous illnesses and current complaints.
  • General physical examination (including breast/prostate gland)
  • Measurement of blood pressure
  • Concluding discussion

In the concluding discussion you are informed of the results of the examination and receive tips from the physician on how to reduce risk factors and lead a more healthy life. The special prophylactic examination of a gynecologist includes a discussion of the medical history of the patient and a vaginal smear – a test for cancer. Within the framework of the new Austrian screening program for breast cancer, which began in 2014, women between 45 and 69 years of age receive a personal invitation to come for a mammography. Women between 40 and 44 or 70 and 74 years of age can request an invitation for a mammography by calling a toll-free telephone service line. A referral from a physician is not necessary if one has this invitation. The mammography can, for example, be performed by the Upper Austrian Public Health Insurance (OÖGKK):

Vorsorgeuntersuchung Linz
(Prophylactic examinations)
OÖ. Gebietskrankenkasse

Garnisonstraße 1a, 4020 Linz
To make an appointment call: Tel.: +43 5 7807 103543

Consultations for parents (mothers)

As far as the health of your baby or young child is concerned, the child-welfare center (Eltern-Mutterberatungsstellen) of the city of Linz in your neighborhood offers gratis counselling by a pediatrician concerning nutrition, child care and vaccinations.

Allendeplatz 4, 4030 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 311742
Monday 2 - 5 p.m., Thursday 9 - 11.30 a.m.

Dornacher Straße 7, 4040 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 243561
Tuesday 2 - 4.30 p.m., Friday 9 - 11.30 a.m.

Hofmannsthalweg 8, 4030 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 301056 18
Monday 9 - 11.30 a.m., Wednesday 2 - 5 p.m.

Europastraße 12, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 371375
Monday 2.30 - 5 p.m., Friday 9 - 11.30 a.m.

Franckstraße (Dorfhalle)
Franckstraße 68, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 654541 14
Wednesday 9 - 11.30 a.m.

Glimpfingerstraße10-12, 4020 Linz
Seniorenzentrum, Building 4, entrance garden level
Tel.: +43 732 3408 12607
Tuesday 2.30 - 5 p.m.

Karl-Steiger-Straße 2, 4030 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 302071
Wednesday 2 - 4.30 p.m.

Leonfeldner Straße
Leonfeldner Straße 80, 4040 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 731269
Thursday 2.30 - 5 p.m.

Neues Rathaus
Hauptstraße 1-5, 4041 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7070 2660
Wednesday 2 - 4.30 p.m.

Heliosallee 84, 4030 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 320071 31
Tuesday 2 - 4.30 p.m,

Neue Heimat
Rohrmayrstraße 1, 4030 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 382008
Tuesday 2.30 - 4.30 p.m


Vaccinations afford the most effective protection from dangerous infections – for example, from ticks (CEE), polio, diphtheria, measles-mumps-German measles,... A certificate of vaccination gives you an overview of all of your vaccinations. When an illness occurs, the physician treating you can quickly check to see whether you have had a particular vaccination or not. 

Tick vaccination (CEE)
If a tick bites you, you can come down with CEE. This disease can lead to paralysis and death. The only effective way to prevent an infection is to have yourself vaccinated.

  • Possible after completion of the first year of life, the basic vaccination consists of 4 separate injections.
  • Duration of protection: at least 5 years (3 years after the age of 60). After that period of time a booster vaccination is recommended.

Influenza (flu) vaccinations
An annual vaccination provides the best protection against influenza. Since the surface of the influenza virus undergoes constant alterations, the vaccine must be adapted each year. The vaccination for influenza is especially recommended for persons over 50, persons with chronic diseases such as cardiovascular or respiratory disorders or diabetes, as well as for persons who are exposed to higher risks of infection such as health professionals, nursery school teachers, teachers and persons who frequently come into contact with others. Children can be vaccinated starting at the age of the seven months. The vaccinations are annual (preferably in autumn). Tick and influenza vaccinations are offered by the health service of the City of Linz within the framework of the annual vaccination program. Children and adolescents are at high risk of incurring infections, therefore protective vaccinations are particularly important for them. Getting vaccinated on time keeps your family healthy! 

The vaccination service of the Health Office of the city of Linz offers vaccinations for:

  • Diptheria, tetanus
  • Wooping cough
  • Haemophilus influenzae b (Pfeiffer’s bacillus)
  • Polio (infantile paralysis - free of charge)
  • Measles-mumps-German measles (free of charge)
  • Hepatitis B (free of charge until the age of 16)
  • Ticks (CEE)
  • Flu
  • Meningococcal disease (currently free of charge for children under 15)
  • Pneumococcal disease (free of charge for children between ages 9 and 12)
  • Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)

Information about the vaccination costs can be obtained from the family doctor and the government of the city of Linz, Division for Health and Sports.

Overview of vaccinations: 121669

Within the framework of the travel service for long-distance journeys the health service of the city informs about hygienic requirements and vaccination recommendations

Division Health and Sports of the City of Linz, health service 
Neues Rathaus, Hauptstr. 1-5, 4041 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7070 bzw. +43 732 7070 2626 (Impfservice)
Monday to Friday: 7.30 a.m. to 12 noon
Monday and Thursday: 2 to 5 p.m.

PGA, Verein für prophylaktische Gesundheitsarbeit
(PGA, Association for prophylactic health work)

Museumstraße 31a, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 771200

Women’s matters


Women who are expecting a child should regularly consult a gynecologist from the beginning of the pregnancy on. They receive a pregnancy report or mother-child-pass (in German: Mutter-Kind-Pass) from this specialist. This pregnancy report entitles them to a gratis program of examinations during pregnancy and the first years of their child‘s life. These examinations make it possible to diagnose illnesses at an early stage and to treat them on time. The report is issued at the beginning of a pregnancy. During the pregnancy, 5 gynecological examinations are to be completed within particular intervals of time. For the child there are nine examinations which should be performed from its first weeks of life until its 5th birthday. The physician who performs each examination (gynecologist, pediatrician or general practitioner) records the results in the report. Please remember, that having all of the examinations during pregnancy and bringing the child for all of its examinations until it is 14 months old are a prerequisite for receiving the complete child care benefits, including those offered after the child is 21 months old! 

Which persons and authorities issue mother-child-passes?

  • Gynecologists
  • General practitioners
  • Out-patient departments of hospitals that have maternity wards

It is important to remember:

  • It is in your own interest, always to have your pregnancy report with you during your pregnancy. Then you can be helped more easily in an emergency situation!
  • Have all of your examinations done within the stipulated period of time and recorded in the report!
  • The examinations in the pregnancy report are prerequisites for a claim to child care benefits.
  • If you are working, the law states that you may not work during the period of time from eight weeks before until eight weeks after the birth (protection of mothers).

Child protection benefit of the province of Upper Austria
The province of Upper Austria confers a child protection benefit amounting to 370 euros (in the form of two payments of 185 euro apiece). A prerequisite for receiving this financial support is the completion of the prophylactic medical examinations required in the “prophylaxis booklet”. You can obtain this booklet from a general practitioner, a pediatrician or a gynecologist. (If your main residence is in Linz, you do not need a confirmation of your residence by the municipality on your application form). 

Support during your pregnancy

  • Birth preparatory course

If it is possible, it is a good idea to attend a birth preparatory course. There you can get to know other women who are also expecting children and get important tips for the time of your pregnancy, your delivery and the first phase of your life with your new child. Such courses are offered by all hospitals with a birth ward, but also by many gynecologists, the Volkshochschule Linz (VHS – Adult Education Center) and mother-child centers. 

Healthy right from the beginning

The OÖGKK (public health insurance) offers an extensive program of benefits and preventative measures for expectant mothers and babies up to the age of three. Pregnant women receive tips about proper nutrition before and after the birth in gratis workshops entitled “A Healthy Diet Right from the Beginning!” as well as counseling about maternity protection, maternity allowances as well as childcare allowances. You can find more information at

Pregnancy counselling

If you need advice while you are pregnant, you can find help at the following institutions:
Kepler University Clinical Center, Med Campus IV.
Gynecological out-patient clinic and out-patient department for day-clinic treatments
Krankenhausstraße 9, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 5 055463 23730
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Institut für Familien- und Jugendberatung der Stadt Linz
Institute for the Counselling of Families and Adolescents of the City of Linz

Rudolfstraße 18, 4040 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7070 2700

Zoe Schwangerschaftsberatung
Gruberstraße 15, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 778300
Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. - 12 noon (Please arrange an appointment by phone!)

Other facilities and initiatives
At young people find all information about sex education, sexuality, puberty, flirting and birth control. In addition, personal sexual consultation is offered online.

When your child arrives

Delivery in a hospital

In Linz you can deliver your baby in the following hospitals:

  • Kepler Universitätsklinikum, Med Campus III.
  • Kepler Universitätsklinikum, Med Campus IV.
  • Krankenhaus der Barmherzigen Brüder (Hospital of the Merciful Brothers)

When you have chosen a hospital, register for your delivery in good time – at best in the first months of your pregnancy! Make use of the opportunity to visit the maternity ward and the delivery room beforehand! You can also choose to have an „outpatient birth“: You leave the hospital 24 hours after the delivery and are counselled at home by a midwife. If you would like to have your birth at home (home delivery, in German:„Hausgeburt“), ask a freelance midwife about the necessary prerequisites as early as possible:

Oö. Hebammengremium: Tel.: +43 676 6841844

Precautionary gynecological examination

In order to recognize and treat special ailments of women as soon as possible, it is important to have an examination by a gynecologist (physician specializing in the problems of women) every six months. The tests thereby performed include vaginal smears (to detect cancer) and breast examinations. 


A planned termination of pregnancy (abortion) can be performed in Austria before completion of the third month of pregnancy (abortion are permitted up to the stage of viability of the fetus). A physician must be first consulted. In Linz an abortion of pregnancy can be performed in the Kepler University, Clinic Center, Campus IV. 

Further information concerning women’s health:

Linzer Frauen Gesundheitszentrum
(Women’s health center of Linz)

Kaplanhofstraße 1, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 774460
Opening hours:
Monday 9 a.m. - 12 noon
Tuesday 1 - 4 p.m.
Wednesday 3 - 7 p.m., Women’s Café 4.30 - 6 p.m.
Thursday 9 a.m. - 12 noon
Friday 9 a.m. - 12 noon

Applicants for political asylum

Since 1.May 2004 persons in Austria who are in need of help and protection and are not Austrian citizens (applicants for political asylum, persons who have been granted political asylum, displaced persons who cannot immediately return to their native countries and other persons who cannot be deported for particular reasons) are accorded basic care. This basic care includes medical health insurance. In order to be entitled to benefits of the health system (treatment by physicians, necessary medicines, ..), applicants for political asylum need to have a social insurance number. These are issued in the places where refugees are first registered in Austria.

OÖGKK Dienststelle Linz Hauptstelle 
(Main Office in Linz)
Gruberstraße 77, 4020 Linz
Tel.: +43 5 7807 0
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 6.45 a.m. - 3 p.m.

OÖGKK Dienststelle Linz Urfahr
(Linz-Urfahr Office)
Hauptstrasse 16-18, 4040 Linz
Tel.: +43 5 7807 243900
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 6.45 a.m. - 3 p.m.

OÖGKK Dienststelle Linz Kleinmünchen
(Linz Kleinmünchen Branch Office)
Zeppelinstraße 58, 4030 Linz
Tel.: +43 5 7807 233700
Opening hours: Monday-Friday 6.45 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Before you claim benefits of the health insurance for the first time it is advisable to consult the responsible person in your lodgings. As an applicant for political asylum you do not have to pay any prescription fee for medicines that are prescribed for you. You also do not have to pay any fees for the care you receive when you stay in a hospital.

In emergencies

When you report an emergency, please provide the following information:

  • Where did it happen?
  • What happened?
  • How many persons were wounded/are ill?
  • What kinds of injuries/illnesses are involved?

Telephone numbers for emergencies

  • *Ambulance 144
  • *Fire Department 122
  • *Police 133
  • Worker’s Samaritan Organization +43 732 2124
  • *Emergency physicians service 141
  • Linz Körnerstraße 28, 4020 Linz
  • Office hours: Saturday, Sunday and holidays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • House calls: Saturday, Sunday and holidays from 7 a.m. to 7 a.m. of the next day. In the area of
  • Linz an emergency service for house calls also operates from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays (it has no physician’s office).
  • Emergency call in case of poisoning +43 1 4064343
  • *Telephone advice 147
  • (Counselling for children and
  • adolescents for any kind of problem)
  • *Help-line for prevention of violence to women +43 800 222555
  • Emergency call for raped women +43 732 602200
  • Psychosocial Emergency +43 732 651015
  • Crisis Intervention Center +43 732 2177
  • *Emergency call for Spiritual Aid 142

*These emergency numbers can be dialled throughout Austria gratis and without an area code!

You can find out which hospitals are currently accepting patients from a local daily newspaper or on the Internet site


When giving notification of an emergency, please always provide the following information:

Where did it happen?
What happened?
How many people are injured/ill?
What kind of injuries/illnesses?

Telephone numbers for emergencies

  • Ambulance +43 144*
  • Fire Department +43 122*
  • Police +43 133*
  • Arbeiter Samariter Bund (paramedics) +43 2124
  • Emergency medical service +43 141 (only on weekends from Saturday, 7 am to 7 am of the first sub-sequent working day)*
  • Poison control emergency phone number +43 1 406 43 43
  • Advice hotline 147 (counselling for children and adolescents for problems of any kind)*
  • Helpline against violence against women +43 800 222 555*
  • Rape hotline +43 732 602200
  • Psychosocial emergency +43 732 651015
  • Crisis intervention center +43 732 2177
  • Emergency telephone ministry +43 142*

* These emergency numbers can be called anywhere in Austria without a prefix and at no charge!

Brochure "Welcome to Linz". Offers - Information - Tips

The reprint of the info-guide by the Integration Office of the City of Linz contains twelve chapters, which provide a clear overview of and enable an easy approach for new inhabitants of Linz.

The contents of the brochure range from general information about Linz (work and profession, residing in Linz, education) to special topics like social matters health, women, culture, sports and free time, mobility and integration and laws for foreigners.